Thursday, June 11, 2009

Friend Dates

Much to my father's dismay I have never been much of a dater. I mean, I go on dates, it's just that around the 2nd consecutive date I somehow seem to lose favor with the idea. I date around (not in the skanky way people!), I just can't seem to find bliss in the long term dating relationship. I've tried. I've analyzed myself, and I just can't seem to figure out what my problem is. I could be a very interesting case study for some psychology major out there...and I could definitely use some insight for myself too.

However, regardless of my inability to participate in an extended dating relationship with a member of the opposite sex, I am really good at friend dating. I love it. I'm addicted. I go through withdrawals when I miss out. I could go on friend dates daily...with the same friend even! No matter my flaws in the romantic dating department, I flourish in the friend dating
arena.

And why wouldn't I, or anyone else for that matter, love friend dates? Unlike romantic dating, with friend dates there is no fuss. I can call and arrange the friend date or the other person can.

There is no time frame; we can arrange to get together the day of or a month in advance.

I don't have to worry about what to wear, how to do my hair, or what my friend will think of me.

There is no limit on how short or how long our friend date needs to last-any reason to cut it short is acceptable and not "blowing them off," and if we're having a good time we can stay out until the wee hours of the morning.

I can say anything without worry of unkind retort, feeling dumb, or killing the conversation.

It doesn't matter if I'm taller than my friend which means I get to wear my high heels if I want. I never have to worry about the follow up. I don't have to wait for anyone to call, email, text, or facebook me. I can call the next day or the next week. I could put a nice card in the mail if I really wanted to...it might even be more appreciated!

I always feel good after a friend date. Always.

Friend dates are perhaps one of the greatest things of the civilized world. They were probably even great before the world became civilized, come to think of it. Every week I try to make sure I have at least one friend date. I feel very fortunate that I have some really great friends with whom I can friend date often.

These peeps are my top 5 favorite friend daters at present. My life would be officially lame, dull, anti-social, and fairly miserable without them.

Rachel, aka Twiggy, is the girl I call for sushi, movies, concerts, staying in, going out, talking, laughing, crying, desserts, and everything in between.

My haven from work, Michelle keeps me busy when the rest of the world is working in the middle of the day.

Perhaps my best friend dater ever. Angie says it like it is and helps make me brave during our weekly friend dates. Plus we always eat really well on our dates!

My go to girl for all things advice. Chrislyn always knows just what I need and makes time for me even with her new hubby!

He'll make you laugh until you cry. You might even pee your pants. Joel's the boy you call for an all around good time. The best guy friend a girl could ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment